The public health field is an exciting and growing part of our society. There are opportunities for one to pursue an online Study Masters of Public Health as well as wonderful universities that specialize in public health offerings. Complex health issues are being faced, daily and conquered. Good health practices are being taught to the people in an effort to prevent the spread of disease. Expanded health care is promoted by the public health worker as is substance abuse and sexual education. As a Study Masters of Public Health person, one might be engaged in any of a number of subfields, such as teachers, journalists, researchers, administrators, environmentalists, lab techs, and scientists. The main reason for a degree in public health is the fact that it is a field that is dedicated to the helping of others. These health care professionals serve the local, national, and international communities and are the first lines to form against any infectious disease.
Texila American University (TAU) is located in Guyana, the only English-speaking country in South America. TAU offers Health Science programs with a high level of professionalism, exactness and problem solving skills, upon which the foundations of specialist training and an independent medical practice can be built, which facilitates further education and development of their knowledge throughout their life.
Here are some of the possible careers open to a graduate with an Study Masters of Public Health:
- Health Policy and Management: Academic Policy Advisor, Legislative Policy Advisor, Management Policy Advisor
- Epidemiology: State Epidemiologist, Research Epidemiologist, Pharmacoepidemiologist
- Behavioral Science and Health Education: Behavior Scientist, Health Educator, Mental Health Researcher
- Health Communications: Communications Specialist, Journalist
- Occupational Safety and Health: Corporate Medical Director
- Environmental Health Sciences: State Environmentalist. Federal Environmentalist
- International and Global Health: Reproductive Health Specialist, International HIV Specialist, Tropical Disease Specialist
- Public Health Preparedness and Function: State Epidemiologist, Laboratory Director, Public Health Lawyer
- Study Masters of Public Health Oral Health: Public Health Dentist
- Family Health: Local Health Officer, Nurse Educator, Nutritionist
- Study Masters of Public Health – As many as 20 specialized fields are awarded this degree among the various available schools.
- Masters of Public Health Dental – For students looking to work in public health aspects of dentistry.
- Masters of Public Health – Disaster Management – Focuses on preventing and managing health disasters.
- Study Masters of Public Health – Epidemiology – A course of study that focuses on understanding factors affecting health and illness among populations through epidemiological methods and research.
- MS in Health Psychology – A multidisciplinary degree that prepares a graduate to work in fields that span the biological, psychological, and social factors that influence health
- Master in Community Health – Prepares students to identify and address the needs of a local community and to best employ available resources to design, implement and maintain a unified health program.
The Master of Public Health (M.P.H.) program offers:
• A strong focus on communities including high-risk, low-income, immigrant, and elderly populations in the US and abroad
• challenging academic study with full-time faculty and visiting professionals who are actively engaged in a variety of public health arenas
• individualized attention and advisement through small class settings
•Study Master of Public Health hands-on experience to learn how to plan, implement, and evaluate Masters of Public Health programs and policies in communities in the United States and around the world
• population-based approaches to reducing social, economic, and environmental risks for the leading causes of illness and death in both industrialized and developing countries
• unequaled field placements in community public health programs and agencies throughout New York City, the United States and abroad.
Earning a Master of Public Health degree is the first step toward entering the health industry and can enlighten many students of the ups and downs of the medical community. This degree focuses on public health practice, rather than simply research and teaching. As a Masters degree, it offers many students the chance to opt out of the ordinary teaching careers which many graduate degrees go towards. Additionally, the years of research has usually taken its toll on students in the health industry, which is why public health instead focuses on the more preventative side of modern public health.
However, the 20th and 21st centuries have introduced a slew of new problems for the health industry to tackle as a result of increased life spans. Therefore, a Master of Public Health serves a vital purpose in tackling the problems of the modern day health industry, such as improved family planning, infectious diseases, effects of smoking, and a range of other modern-day problems. Without stepping too far into the medical field of doctors and nurses, this degree allows students to perform a vital part of the health industry in saving lives through their work within public health care.
"Professionals with an Master of public health degree find that they are well qualified for a wide variety of jobs. For example, our program at Indiana University focuses on community health, and we prepare individuals to be community health promotion leaders. As a result, they assume positions such as community health educators for organizations and health departments, program managers for state health departments, health information specialists for the federal government, research associates for pharmaceutical companies, health promotion specialists for corporations, and other mid-level management positions across a diverse range of institutions.
"An Master of Public Health prepares individuals to tailor their skills in a wide variety of areas. When students come into our program, one of the initial activities they complete with the faculty is an assessment of where they want to work after completing their degree. We try to help students choose courses and become involved in activities that will provide them with the background necessary to secure the position they want.”
"Important qualities for successful Master of Public Health candidates include passion, a commitment to diversity, motivation, creativity and a genuine willingness to keep working until the problem is resolved.
"Individuals entering Master of public health should want to improve the health of communities around the world; it is important that they have a passion for working on particular issues. Public health is hard work, and the nature of our contemporary challenges require people to be committed to finding solutions that are successful.”
There is no doubt that a Masters of Public Health Degree opens up a world of career advancement opportunities. When reviewing salaries for graduates of a Masters of public health keep in mind the diverse range of career opportunities across a large spectrum of employers. There are not many graduate degree programs that offer such job sector diversity. As a public health professional you can find employment with local, state, and federal authorities; consultancies; hospitals; universities; and even regulation firms.
The common salary figures of an MPH graduate; therefore, must be understood in context of the jobs surrounding the specific focus. For example, salaries for epidemiologists range from $50-$60k, whereas a public health professional working in the same field earns around a 15% premium. i
As with all jobs, expertise is an important factor. The more advanced your education, typically speaking, the more opportunities there are for career growth. The base salary for public health professionals is anywhere from $40 to $45k. Public health professionals with 4-6 years experience earn between $60-$65k. The pay and earnings potential obviously will vary based on the type of employer. Employers such as, governmental agencies, and non-profit organizations will pay less. However, it is important to note that such organizations typically make up for the lower base by through increased benefits such as retirement, vacation, and healthcare. This is one of the reasons that it is important not to grade a career by base earnings, and instead by total earnings, which includes such factors. Health care companies, consulting firms, and and specialized government agencies pay on the upper end of the scale and covet candidates with advanced degrees.
Most advanced careers within the sector of public health typically require a master’s degree. Without one you are likely to limit your career and salary. Most advanced degrees such as the Masters of Public Health can be completed in as little as two years. When you factor in the career opportunities they generate it really makes sense to pursue such a graduate degree.
Masters of public health online degree programs are designed for folks with busy lives who nonetheless want to additional their training within the area of public health. These programs are meant for many who think that they do not have enough time to pursue a masters degree. On-line degrees were made for this fast-paced world and may help you to achieve all your career objectives without having to desert your current career within the meantime.
The Worth Of A Online Masters of Public Health Program
What can you study in a conventional college setting that you can’t be taught within the virtual classroom? Online programs are not the easy online textbooks that everyone assumes they are. Nowadays masters of public health on-line degree programs posses’ videos, message boards, and interactive chats between students and teachers. Additionally teachers leverage traditional technology like phone or email to remain connected with their students.
Along with the salary you’ll receive as a worker in the Masters of public health field, most of these positions come with excellent benefits packages. Your benefits could include things such as health and dental coverage, a retirement plan, paid vacation and sick days, paid travel expenses, and a myriad of other perks. When comparing jobs, a better benefits package can sometimes mean more than a higher salary in this field.
When trying to decide if you want to pursue Public Health graduate study, you may not know all of the reasons why you should do it. You may think a Masters in Public Health degree could not possibly help you either get a job in the public health field or further your already established career in public health, but it can. Here are just a few of the ways getting a graduate degree in public health can help you:
- To gain more knowledge in your career field – Continuing education is a great way to gain more knowledge in your career field. This is true even for the Public Health field. Issues in Public Health are always changing and there is no better way to keep yourself abreast of the changes than by getting an MPH degree
- To change careers – If you want to enter the Public Health field and are in another career field that is not health-based, then you will likely want to get an MPH degree. This will give you the knowledge you need to successfully change your career.
- To make yourself more marketable in the job field – Of course, if you have already gotten a bachelor’s degree in public health, you may find that you need a Masters in Public Health degree to make yourself more marketable on the job market. Many places deem graduate study as a good indicator of how committed a person will be to a particular job.
- To become an instructor in your career field – Some people employed in Public Health may feel the call to become an instructor. If this is the case, then you will need at least a Masters degree, but a Doctorate degree would be even more beneficial. However, you can become a college instructor with a Masters in Public Health degree. This reason is a major reason why some people pursue graduate studies in Public Health.
- Prepares you for leadership in your field – Another good reason to continue your studies in Public Health at the graduate level is that it prepares you to become a leader in the field. Getting a Masters degree is a good way to enhance your resume and get a supervisory position. Of course, you will still need plenty of experience in the Public Health field you are seeking a supervisory job in, but the Masters degree will help you get the job as well.
- Enhances communication skills – Getting a Masters degree in Public Health will also enhance your communication skills. Of course, if you already work in the public health field, your communication skills should be great anyway, but graduate study will polish them to near-perfection. You have to be able to communicate well to get your point across in classes, especially if you are seeking your MPH degree online.
- Helps you become a better problem-solver – If there is one thing that getting a Masters degree will do for you, it is that it will help you become a better problem-solver. You may be wondering how this is possible, but stick with me. Graduate study is designed for working adults. This means that you will have to balance work, family and school – among other obligations. You will have problems come up, either in class or outside of it, which will need to be solved as quickly as possible. Your work in a graduate program will help you come up with better ways to solve these problems by giving you critical thinking skills.
- For a promotion – Some people simply want to get a Masters degree in Public Health so they can get a promotion. There is nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of students in MPH programs who are there for the exact same reason. Some employers will even guarantee a promotion to an employee if they continue their education.
- To further expand your specialties if you are in another health-related field – If you are already working in Public Health in a field like administration and would like to get into the field of Public Health Policy or Infectious Disease, you may find that an MPH degree will help you with your career aspirations. Furthering your Public Health education can better prepare you for entering another field within your career.